Adding facial oils to one’s skin care routine seems to be a new trend in the last couple of years, however, applying natural oils as a moisturizer has been a beauty trick for generations and dates all the way back to the Ancient Egyptians. In fact, facial oils are a tried and true skin care staple. While it can seem like a bad idea to add oil to skin, we promise it’s for the best. Facial oils are packed with amazing ingredients and are a host to all kinds of amazing skin benefits, so here is a list of a few key things to know before getting started:
- Facial oils are best known as a moisturizing ingredient and help to trap moisture into the skin and create a protective barrier from dehydration.
- They can help with reparations of damaged skin because of their high concentration of lipids which are insoluble.
- Oils specifically featuring jojoba, argan, coconut, or maracuja oils can have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Facial oils are great to introduce whenever, but can especially help as the skin gets older and naturally produces a smaller amount of oil.
- Oils can help to balance excess sebum production.
- Oils stimulate collagen production because of their high concentration of antioxidants and can also boost skin elasticity.
- Facial oils help to protect the skin from free radicals
- Facial oils can help to reverse the damage and effects of UV rays.
- Oils can act as cleansers and antibacterials for the face as they can break down tough compounds like makeup or a build up of dirt.
- Look for key ingredients for your skin type. If you have dry skin, look for things like argan oil or grapeseed oil. If you have acne-prone skin, look for oils like tea tree oil or jojoba oil.
Now that you have our top ten things we love about facial oils, there are a few things to be careful of that we absolutely wanted to tell you about:
- Never use an oil with added fragrance. That’s really a rule of thumb at SLFMKR, but it’s important to avoid any unnatural ingredient in facial oil.
- Avoid putting plant or essential oils directly on the skin as they are incredibly potent and should be paired with a carrier oil.
- Do not use a ton, a few drops is all you need each application, and using too much may clog your pores.
We hope this information makes it abundantly clear all of the things a facial oil can do for you, and we hope you give one a try. They can be a real game changer in your skin care routine and can be used by any skin type. Browse the site or stop in to find your new facial oil, and as always, we are here to help!